Pasta is my son’s favorite food and is one of the early foods that he started eating himself. Previously I used store bought pasta sauces and one day came across this recipe while surfing on the internet. The color and texture of the sauce itself is so appealing and I decided to try my hands on this sauce and now this has became one of my favourite recipes. This sauce can be made within your pasta gets cooked and it requires only few ingredients. But the taste is so rich and creamy that you will never go to store bought pasta sauce.
- Penne pasta – 1 cup
- Garlic – 3 cloves , finely chopped
- Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 3 medium, finely chopped
- Tomato Paste – 2 teaspoons ( optional)
- Spinach leaves – 1/2 cup, tightly packed
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Dried basil – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dried oregano – 1/2 teaspoon
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 teaspoons
- Cream cheese – 2 oz ( can be substituted by 1/4 cup half n half or full fat milk)
- Grated parmesan cheese – 1/4 cup
- Salt – to taste
1.Heat 8 cups of water in a large pot with a teaspoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of salt and bring it to rigourous boil.
2. When the water starts to boil rigourously, add in the pasta and let it cook till the pasta becomes tender. This will take 8 to 10 mins.
3.Once the pasta is cooked, strain the pasta from the water and keep it aside. The oil added in the water while cooking pasta will help it from sticking together.
4. Meanwhile heat 1 teaspoon of extra virgin oil in a sauce pan. The olive oil gives nice flavor to the sauce and is recommended. Add the finely chopped garlic and fry it for a min.
5. Then add the finely chopped onions and fry till the garlic and onion turns transparent.
6. Now add the finely chopped tomatoes. You can also use canned tomatoes but I prefer fresh tomatoes.
7. To this add the required salt, pepper powder, dried oregano and dried basil.
8. Also add two teaspoons of tomato paste which will help in thickening the sauce.
9. Once the sauce thickens , add in the cream cheese.
10. After adding the cream cheese, it may seem like curdled, but stir it continuously and the cream cheese will mix with the sauce and give a nice creamy texture to the sauce.
11. Once the cream cheese blends well with the sauce, add in the spinach leaves and fry till the leaves wilt, say for 2 to 3 minutes.
12. Now add in the strained pasta to the sauce and mix well.
Serve the pasta garnished with the shredded parmesan cheese.