Tomato Thokku is one of the easiest and the tastiest accompaniment that can be prepared in just few minutes. But this thokku so versatile and goes well with idli/dosa/curd rice/chapathi/stuffed parathas or even plain rice. This has a shelf life of a week to 10 days and can be stored in refrigerator and used upto 15 days. Whenever I make any stuffed parathas, I will make this tomato thokku as the side since we love this more than any other pickles.
- Tomato – 2, ripened
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Chilli powder – 3/4 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon ( depending on the spice level preferred)
- salt – to taste
- Gingelly oil – 1 tablespoon
- Asafoetida- a pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – a sprig
1. In a pan, dry roast the fenugreek seeds in medium flame till they turn brown. Transfer it to another plate and let it cool. Once cooled down, grind it to a fine powder and keep aside.
2. In a sauce pan, bring 4 cups of water to rolling boil. Once the water starts to boil rigorously, put the tomatoes in it and switch off the flame and cover the pan for 2 minutes.
3.After 2 minutes, transfer the tomatoes to ice cold water and when the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, peel the skins off the tomatoes and using a blender ,puree the tomatoes without any lumps.
5. When the mustard splutters, add in the tomato puree and salt and mix well and let them cook stirring in between so that it doesn’t get burnt.
6.When the puree starts to thicken , add in the chilli powder, asafoetida and 1/2 teaspoon of the ground fenugreek powder. Take care not to add more fenugreek powder as it will give a bitter taste.
7. You can also add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar or jaggery to the thokku but is purely optional. When the oil starts oozing out of thokku, switch off the flame and transfer it to a airtight dry container.
Relish this tangy and spicy thokku with Idli, dosa , rotis or curd rice.