While I was working in Chennai, I tasted pesarattu once in an Andhra restaurant. I liked it very much but never got a chance again to taste it . Recenlty , my neighbour , who is from Andhra gave me some vadas that she prepared from green grams and those vadas had a similar taste of pesarattu and rekindled my craving for the pesarattus 😉 . So I collected the recipe from her and decied to give it a try. These dosas came really good for the first time itself and hubby and kid loved it. These dosas are loaded with protein and is a very healthy breakfast. Now this is going to be in our breakfast menu regularly 🙂
- Whole green gram – 1 cup
- split green gram – 1/4 cup
- Raw rice – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Green chilly – 2
- Onion – 2 ,finely chopped
- Jeera/ Cumin – 2 teaspoons
1.Rinse and soak whole green gram, split gram and raw rice in water for overnight. In the morning drain the water and grind it to smooth paste with ginger, green chilly and required water.
2.Add salt to it and mix well. Meanwhile in a pan, heat a teaspoon of oil, add in the jeera seeds and toss the onions for a minute and keep this aside.
3. Now heat the dosa tawa. Once it is ready, take a laddle full of the batter and make thin crepes and let it cook till the bottom side turns golden brown.
4. Now carefully flip the dosa and let the other side cooks well too. When both sides are cooked fine, Flip the dosa, place a tablespoon of the onion and jeera mixture and fold it.
Serve these crispy pesarattus with Inji pachidi or any of your favorite chutney.