This is a simple kuruma made from tomatoes. My amma makes Tomato kuruma in two ways but this is my favorite. She makes this for Idlis and this would be the first dish I would ask my mom to prepare whenever I am visiting her. This is one heart winning recipe and it never failed to impress anyone.
- Tomatoes – 3
- Onion – 2
- Coriander seeds – 2 tablespoons
- Channa dal – 2 tablespoons
- Coconut, shredded – 1/2 cup
- Green chilli -1
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds – to garnish
1. In a pan, dry roast the channa dal and coriander seeds till they slightly change in color and gives a nice aroma. Switch off the stove and let this cool.
2. Once it cools down, take it in a mixer jar along with shredded coconut and tomatoes and grind it to a smooth paste. No need to add water.
3. In a sauce pan, add a teaspoon of oil, splutter the mustard seeds. Then add in the cut onions and slit green chilly and fry it till the onion becomes transparent.
4. When the onion turns transparent, add in the ground paste, water, salt ,turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix it well. Water level can be adjusted depending on the consistency of the kuruma.
5. When the mixture comes to boil, switch off the flame and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve it hot with steaming Idlis or dosas.