This vegetable pulao is one recipe that can be made in a jiffy. Especially on those lazy weekends when you don’t want to cook an elaborate meal but still want to have a good food. During my earlier days of cooking, getting the separate grains of basmati rice was mission impossible 😉 😛 Either the rice remains under cooked or overcooked and sticky. After several trials, finally hope I learnt to make the separate grainy rice 🙂
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Water – 1.5 cups
- chopped vegetables – 1 cup ( I used frozen mixed vegetables. If using fresh vegetables, chop the vegetables in equal size to ensure even cooking)
- Ginger – garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Mint leaves – 1 handful
- Cinnamon – 1 piece
- Cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 1
- Bay leaf -1
- Salt – to taste
- Finely cracked pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee or Oil – 2 teaspoons
1. Rinse and wash the basmati rice and soak it in water for 20 mins.
2. In a heavy bottom pan, heat the ghee in a medium flame. When it is hot, add the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and bay leaf. Then add the ginger garlic paste and the mint leaves.
2.Saute for 30 seconds till the raw smell goes. Now add in the vegetables.
3. Add the salt and the pepper to it and mix well. Now add the soaked basmati rice and water and mix well.
4.This is the stage where you can check the salt level and add if it is not enough. Mix well and cook covered in a low medium flame.
5. Cook till all the water is absorbed. Switch off the flame and let it stay covered for 10 more minutes. Then carefully open the lid.
6. Now using two forks, slightly fluff the rice and transfer it to serving bowl.
Serve it with any gravy.