Paneer butter masala is a well known accompaniment for naan or rotis . And is the favorite among everyone. When I first wanted to try this gravy and searched for the recipe, I was very confused. There were so many different recipes and different names too.. After referring several blogs and cook books, finally came up with this one recipe as this was close to the one I tasted on the restaurants.
- Paneer – 200 gm
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1 (big)
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Butter – 2 table spoons
- Cardamom – 1
- Bay leaf -1
- Clove – 1
- Cinnamon – 1 piece
1. Cube the paneer to desired size. In a pan, add a tsp of ghee or oil , and toss the paneer in the pan till it slightly changes color. Keep it aside.
2. Chop the onions roughly. In a sauce pan, bring 2 cups of water to rolling boil. Add in the chopped onions to the boiling water and let it cook till the onions change pale in color. Drain the onions , let it cool and grind it to fine paste.
3. Similarly, blanch the tomatoes and puree it.
4. In a pan, add in the butter. Once it melts, add in the cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf and cloves.
5.Then add in the onion paste and the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell goes.
6. Once the onion paste is cooked , add in the tomato puree.
7. Also add the salt, chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
8. Mix it well and let it cook till the mixture forms a smooth paste. Beware there will be a lot of spluttering during this process .
9. Now reduce the flame, and add in the milk slowly, stirring continuously.
10. Now add the paneer cubes , mix well and switch off the flame.
This Gravy goes well with Rotis, Naans and pulaos.