Happy Mother’s Day !!!
Today I want to dedicate my post to two special persons in my life. One is my Amma. She is an awesome cook and a wonderful lady. Whatever I am today, I should thank my Mom. She is the backbone of our family. She is my hero and will always be. She is the inspiration for everything I cook and whatever heights I fly , she is my wings.
The second person I wanted to dedicate this post is to my friend Gayathri. I know her for just 3 years but she occupies an important place in my life. Whenever I feel low, she was always there to lift me up and I know she will always be there for me. She is the inspiration for my baking. She bakes well and she is the one who introduced me the world of baking. Today is her birthday. Wishing you a very happy birthday Gayathri..
- All purpose flour – 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Eggs – 3
- Egg yolks – 3
- Granulated sugar – 3/4 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Whole milk – 1/4 cup
- Butter – 2 tablespoons
- Pineapple chunks in syrup – 1 tin
- Heavy whipping cream – 2 cups
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Pineapple essence – 2 tsp
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 inch round pan and keep it ready.
2. In a bowl, sieve together the all purpose flour, baking powder and table salt. Mix it well and keep it side.
3. In a sauce pan, heat the milk and butter together. Let it be heated in a low flame till it is hot but not boiling.
4. In a large mixing bowl, take the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract and beat them in high speed .
5. Beat it till a point when you raise the stopped beater gives a ribbon that dissolves slowly.
I used my handheld electric mixture and it took me almost 6 minutes to reach this consistency. The egg mixture turns pale in color and is doubled in the volume.
5.At this stage, add the mixed flour mixture in small batches and fold it gently without disturbing the volume of the egg mixture.
6.Once all the flour mixture is added and incorporated with the egg mixture, now add in the hot milk+butter mixture and using a wooden spoon or spatula, fold it gently until everything is mixed thoroughly.
7.Now scrap this mixture into the greased pan and let it bake for 20 to 23 minutes.
8.After 20 minutes check if the tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. To me it took 22 minutes but the baking time varies with the oven.
9.Let it cool completely. Better if it is left to cool overnight. Once it is cooled completely, using a sharp knife, gently cut the cake into two layers. Also separate the pineapple chunks and the syrup.
10. Now using the pastry brush, gently sprinkle the syrup on the base layer of the cake.
If you are using fresh pineapples, for making the syrup, finely chop the pineapples , say 1/2 cup. Boil 1 cup water and add the pineapple chunks and let it boil for 5 minutes. Then add 1/4 cup sugar and let it boil till the sugar dissolves.Switch off the stove and let it cool and strain the syrup and use it.
11. Meanwhile, In a mixing bowl,add heavy whipping cream ,powdered sugar and pineapple essence and beat it till stiff peaks are formed.
12.In the base layer of cake, spread a little cream evenly.
13. Spread the finely chopped pineapple chunks.
14. Now place the other layer of the cake, sprinkle the pineapple syrup and cover it with the whipped cream.
Decorate the cake as you like it and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Letting it sit for few hours before serving helps the cake absorb the flavor of pineapple well.