Beans paruppu usili is one healthy and rich accompaniment for a south Indian lunch. Packed with proteins , this usili is definitely a heart winning dish. I usually steam the dal mixture but I heard from my friend that stir frying them in oil gives a beautiful grainy texture and tried it that way and we liked it very much. So it is your preference either to steam the dal mixture or stir fry them but the usili will definitely impress you that you will make them again and again.
- Beans – 2 cups , (finely chopped)
- Tur Dal – 1 cup
- Bengal gram – 1 cup
- Dry red chilli – 3 or 4 (Depending on the spice level preferred)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
1. Soak the dals in water for 2 hours.
2. Finely chop the beans and steam cook them.
3. Once the dal is soaked for 2 hrs, grind them in a mixie along with red chilli and salt. No need to add water and the mixture should be ground coarsely.
4. Now in a pan, heat the oil and then add in the ground dal mixture. And fry it till the dal mixture is cooked well and turns grainy.
Or you can steam cook the dal mixture in an idli pan like we do the kolukattais and once it is cooked and cooled down it can be crumbled and added to the steamed beans.
5.Once the dal mixture is cooked well, add in the cooked beans.
6. Stir it well till everything is combined well. This may take 2 or 3 minutes.
Switch off the stove and serve this paruppu usili as an accompaniment with sambar, rasam and rice.