This is a very special post. My little one just turned 3. I just could not believe how fast time flies. My prince is so obsessed with the cars. And even when he has a huge tantrum, show him a car toy and he suddenly calms down. Trust me.. I am not exaggerating. So I wanted to make him a cars cake for his third birthday and searched pinterest for ideas and came across The Domestic Project. She had the simple step by step instructions to make this cake and immediately decided that I am going to make this cake. I used a basic chocolate cake recipe and vanilla buttercream recipe.
For the cake :
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Eggs – 4, large
- Unsalted butter – 1 cup (at room temperature)
- Water – 2 cups
- All purpose flour – 3 cups
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 2 tsp
- Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
For the Frosting :
- Unsalted Butter – 2 cups
- Powdered Sugar – 4 cups
- Heavy cream – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract – 2 teaspoons
1. In a mixing bowl, sift the cocoa powder and add boiling water to it and mix well without any lumps. Keep it aside and let it cool.
2.In another bowl, sift together the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Keep this also aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until it is creamy and pale.
4.To this, add the sugar in batches and beat thoroughly after each addition. Beat it well till the mixture becomes fluffy and creamy.
5.To this add the eggs, one at a time and beat it thoroughly. Then add the vanilla extract and mix it well.
6. Now using a rubber spatula, mix the flour mixture and cocoa mixture alternatively in small batches and mix them well till it is combined and becomes a smooth batter.
7. Now pour this smooth batter in the greased pan and bake it for 25 to 30 mins or until the tooth pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
8. Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then gently remove it from the pan and let it cool for 3 to 4 hrs before frosting. I left it cool overnight.
To make the frosting:
1.In a clean mixing bowl, add the butter and beat it using a hand mixer or stand mixture until the butter is pale and creamy.
2. Now add the powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time and mix it thoroughly.
3. Then add the heavy cream and vanilla extract and beat until stiff peaks form. If you want to add any color, you can add it now and mix it well using a spatula.
Sorry I was in a hurry and tension to make this cake on time so I didnt have step by step pictures for the frosting and decorating the cake.
But this cake was very scrumptious and everyone loved it.