Mint chutney is one tasty yet healthy accompaniment for rice. When I am running out of time to make elaborate lunch or when we are back from a trip, i usually make this chutney and rice and it would be as good as a complete meal. This week I got a bunch of fresh mint leaves from my patio garden and made this chutney . This chutney can be eaten with hot rice and ghee or as an accompaniment for rasam or curd rice.
- Mint leaves – 1 cup, closely packed
- Red chillies – 3 or 4 (depending on the spice level preferred)
- Urad dal – 1 tablespoon
- Shredded coconut – 2 tablespoons
- Tamarind – a small gooseberry sized
- Salt – to taste
- In a pan, dry roast the red chillies for a minute in medium flame.
2. Then add in the urad dal and fry till the dal turns golden brown.
3. Then add in the shredded coconut and fry till the coconut turns golden brown and then add in the mint leaves , and fry for 30 seconds and switch off the flame.
4. Once it cools down, grind it along with tamarind , salt and a little water and grind it to paste. Enjoy this chutney with some hot rice and ghee. Yummm…