As I have told earlier, I am allergic to mushrooms but I do like them very much. Due to my allergies, I rarely cook mushroom in my house for my husband and on such rare occasions, there are few recipes that I don’t want to miss. This biryani recipe is one such recipe. I have tried recipes from various cookbooks and internet for mushroom biryani and finally settled with this one fail proof recipe. The marination of the mushroom adds the flavor to the biryani and is sure a crowd pleaser.
- White mushrooms – 2 cups
- Onion – 1 , sliced
- Tomato – 1 , sliced
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 3 cups
To marinate :
- Thick Curd – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Mint leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon or more (depending on the spice level preferred)
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Oil + ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Cardamom – 2
- Clove – 2
- Cinnamon stick – 1
- Bay leaf – 2
- Star anise – 1
1.In a mixing bowl, add the cut mushrooms and all other ingredients given under to marinate and mix it well. Let it rest in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes.
2. In a large pan, add a teaspoon of ghee , and roast the rice in a medium flame till it gives a nice aroma. Keep it aside.
3. In the same pan, add the remaining ghee and oil and add all the ingredients mentioned under the ‘to saute’ column.
3. Now add in the sliced onions and fry it till it turns transparent.
Then add in the tomatoes and fry it till it turns mushy. Once the tomatoes turn mushy, add in the marinated mushrooms.
4. Mix it well and let everything is combined well.Add the rice and let it mix well with the masala.
5.Now add the water and let it mix well. Check for salt and spice and add if needed.
6.Cover it and let it cook in low medium flame. Cook till all the water is absorbed and switch off the flame. Let the rice sit undisturbed for 10 mins.
7. Then using fork, fluff the rice till the rice is separate and grainy. Squeeze a lemon over the rice and serve this tasty biryani with raita.